About Charles Williams: Charles Walter Stansby Williams (1886-1945) was a British poet, novelist, literary critic, editor, English professor, biographer, Anglican Christian, and occult master. He was a member of the Inklings with C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien for the last six years of his life. He was charismatic, saintly, radiant, riveting, loquacious, and inspiring. According to Lewis, everyone who met him fell in love with him—including many young women who became his disciples and on whom he practiced semi-sexual, semi-magical rituals of transference to heighten his creative powers. Yet he also motivated many people to practice their Christianity more seriously and founded the Companions of the Co-inherence in order to carry one another’s burdens. His seven metaphysical thriller novels and his virtuosic Arthurian poetry place him among the greatest literary masterpieces of the early 20th century. Please take a look at this Readers’ Guide for Beginners.
About the blogger: Sørina Higgins is a Ph.D. student, Teacher of Record, and Presidential Scholar at Baylor University, as well as a faculty member at Signum University. Her interests include British Modernism, the works of the Inklings, Arthuriana, and magic. She holds an M.A. from Middlebury College’s Bread Loaf School of English, where she wrote about Sehnsucht in the works of C. S. Lewis. Sørina edited an academic essay collection on The Inklings and King Arthur (Apocryphile Press, 2018), wrote the introduction to a new edition of Charles Williams’s Taliessin through Logres (Apocryphile, 2016), and published an edition of The Chapel of the Thorn by Charles Williams (Apocryphile, 2014). As a creative writer, Sørina has published two books of poetry, The Significance of Swans (2007) and Caduceus (2012).
- Follow @Oddest_Inkling on twitter.
- Follow Sørina on twitter, @SorinaHiggins.
- Subscribe to Sørina’s YouTube Channel.
- Watch Sørina’s Signum University guest lecture, entitled “The Heraldry of Heaven: The Development of Sehnsucht in the Writings of C.S. Lewis.” View it on YouTube or download it here.
- Learn about the Inklings in Sørina’s Introduction to the Inklings lecture at the Look! Arts group in NYC.
- Listen to Sørina’s presentation at the New York C.S. Lewis Society on Arthurian Geographies.