(reposted from https://signumuniversity.org/news/wanted-fantasyscience-fictionpop-culture-preceptor/)
The Department of Language & Literature at Signum University is currently seeking preceptors to join the faculty team in our Imaginative Literature concentration.
What Does a Preceptor Do?
The purpose of the position of Preceptor is to support the instruction of language and literature classes by:
- Leading live small-group online discussion sessions
- Liaising with the course lecturer(s)
- Assigning and evaluating writing, projects, and assessments
- Providing feedback and clarification for students
- Occasionally offering guest lectures and/or participating in roundtable discussions
- Contributing to the life of the university through various opportunities for service
The successful candidate will have:
- An M.A. in English, Languages, or a related field (Ph.D. preferred)
- Experience teaching a diverse population of students at the college level (graduate teaching preferred)
- A high level of comfort and ability working with technology or a demonstrable willingness and aptitude to learn the technologies used for Signum’s digital campus (online teaching experience preferred).
Passionate, knowledgeable, compassionate, visionary scholars are the ideal candidates for precepting at Signum.
In addition to the general precepting requirements, an F/SF/Pop Culture candidate should possess:
- A sound knowledge of proto-science fiction and the origins of modern SF.
- Familiarity with pulp fiction, early SF, golden age SF, 20th- and 21st-century fantasy lit, and modern/postmodern popular culture.
- Additional interests in film, gaming, etc. also encouraged.
- Experience working within critical approaches to popular culture; academic presentation or publication experience on F/SF/PC preferred.
How to Apply
Send your C.V. and a letter of interest to the Department Chair, Sørina Higgins, at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your letter, please address your expertise in F/SF/PC as applicable, and please describe your level of comfort and experience with online teaching. Links to video samples of your teaching style are optional but recommended.
Signum University hires precepting faculty members into a pool for rotating one-term assignments.
Signum University is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.